Thursday, April 19, 2007

To tell or not to tell???? That is the question

Hey, sometimes I do a bit of evaluation of how I run my life and make my decisions.

Take for example - what would you do if you had a business selling water features and a customer comes along to buy one. He's been advised to plug one in into his bedroom to activate his wealth star. What would you do, if say....you know that there should be no water in a bedroom as that would bring heap strong misfortune like loss of money, loss of good name and even loss of loved ones!

What if that particular day had been very quiet where sales are concerned?

Would you.....

A) Advise him that he should not do so, give him the reason why and lose a much-needed sale?

B) Keep quiet and sell the man what he came in to buy anyway...who cares if his so-called feng shui master is a charlatan? I would probably never see him again anyway. I didn't force him to buy it!

This is the second time it has happened within 6 months, no...no..no...two different men.

And on both occasions I chose 'A'. Then I wonder if I am cut out for business at all. At this rate, I will never be as rich as the late Nina Wang of Hong Kong. Those men probably think that I am the one who knows nothing. The first one came back to buy other things and only time will tell if the second and most recent one will be back.

But at least I can sleep tonight, poorer by a few dollars but zzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

What's with men always thinking they know much more than a mere mortal woman?

4 comments:

patrickteoh said...

Some people believe that business and integrity don't or cannot go together. I have always believed that there can be no longevity in business without integrity. Good for you, Quenie. Stick to your principles. Your business will grow because of it.

jack2964 said...

We have all heard the old cliche " a fool and his $$$ are soon ..."
Well, if people are so gullible to believe in feng shui mumbo jumbo then they obviously aren't blessed in the neuro regions and hence have themselves to blame. Remember the maxim..."the customer is always right". If he wants it...he gets it.

MJ said...

The customer is not always right. That's great of you to think of the well being instead of just $$. Surely when the customer realizes you were right, he/she would spread the word about the accuracy of your info and you'll gain more than lose a sale.

Quenie Fong said...

Thank you MJ! You don't know how many times in my life I have had that phrase stuffed down my throat! Not only now in my shop but when I worked at a hotel, when I organised shows etc.
Whoever coined that phrase up should be shot in the 21st century! And you know what? It's always the rudest, most demanding ones who would use a phrase like that outside of training purposes!