Monday, May 14, 2007

*Sigh*

Dear whoever is reading this,

Today's been a kind of sad day. First, a second-time customer comes-in to buy some things and she started talking to me about her problems. She has A LOT of family problems. Not her immediate family. They're fine. She has lovely children and a hard-working husband. It's one of her siblings. He's been gambling and owes a lot of money to loan sharks. This lady has been trying to help him repay his loans by selling-off her jewellery. Now all she has left is a simple thin white-gold necklace with a semi-precious stone pendant. She cries.

Her sibling is still having it good and continues to gamble. When he has the money, he takes his wife and children on holiday and comes home, boasting of what they have feasted on. His aged mother is working in a coffee shop to earn extra money. Another of his sisters is also servicing his loans. His sibling's spouses have forked out money too.

Why then does this lady continue to help him? I tell her that they are actually ruining him further by paying his loans. He is not going to change. Why bother? When he can get away with gambling, losing and borrowing when there are people to bail him out over and over again?

I told her that she now should only be responsible for and to her very own spouse and children. It should be them she should slog for. It should be them that she should be sad for. Her kids are in their pre-teens. She tells me they are fine kids. She should sell her jewellery for them if they needed the money for their education or if her husband needed the cash to finance his business, not to pay off loan sharks for an irresponsible brother.

Whoever said that when a Chinese woman marries, it's like throwing-out a basin of water that cannot be recovered? That when your daughter marries, thereafter, she belongs to her husband's family and not part of her own family anymore.

*Sigh* I am sad. I am sad when people are so upset over something that has such an obvious solution. I am sad that people who are sad cannot think straight. Even in a peaceful country like Malaysia, we have so many sad people in trouble. So many people with not enough to live on. So many people struggling to make ends meet. So peaceful and yet so unhappy. What more in a country that is constantly at war?

I have become an Agony Aunt.

Then, in the afternoon, another second-time customer comes in to buy something to wear to enhance for love. They call this in Chinese 'Peach Blossom Luck' 'Toe Far Wan'. He read somewhere that Roosters have love luck this year and he wanted in. Never mind that he is already married. He told me himself! He has a girlfriend as well but he wanted more and he wanted a second-wife!!!

I told him it is not our place to judge him but he must be very unsatisfied with his wife to want all that. He replied, no, he is not dissatisfied with her. He did not elaborate and I did not want to ask more.

I sold him what he wanted but I was not happy. I was actually quite upset but did not show it. I can't stuff my ideals down everyone's throat can I?

And this has been the saddest, most upsetting post I have ever written.

Think I'll go drink insecticide now or hold my breath till I turn purple or something.

5 comments:

patrickteoh said...

Hi Feng Shui Lady. Did you have the insecticide with ice and soda or just on the rocks? Heheheheheheheh...sorry couldn't resist that. So who can measure love and caring and dictate how those should be manifested? I know what the lady is doing is ruining the sibling more but sometimes it is hard to be objective when it is a loved one in the equation.

Must come and have some real drinks with you soon la. Personally, I have never developed a taste for insecticide.

Have a good feng shui day.

Quenie Fong said...

Hi Patrick!
Hey! You actually read my blog man! I have a preference for water-based Sheltox. Don't need any more water in that one or it'll get too diluted. Sam likes Mortein with salad oil, the nutcase!

Well, school holidays are around the corner again! I have 2 bottles of Black Label in a disco-like place called Aloha, located 1 floor above me (Albeit very chinky)and we're waiting for company to drink it with!

Today's been a better day, Dato' Z came by again to shop.

Raine said...

Hi Quenie,

What sad stories but ironically what true representations of 'love' in its many form. Truly disheartening!

On a light note, I have a question about the horses in the south position. I am born in the year of the horse, would it activate the mentor part of my life if I stand really still on the south corner? :P

Lorraine (ex-"IRC-er") :0)

Quenie Fong said...

Hi Raine!
Yes, I remember the name immediately! I think I shall forever equate the name Raine with you. I see there is a Steven attached to it now :)

What a small world this is for you to come across my blog! Where in the world are you now?

Raine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.